Home Office: Sign Language

Home Office written question – answered on 21st February 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Bill Esterson Bill Esterson Shadow Minister (Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy), Shadow Minister (International Trade)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps her Department takes to provide (a) information on its services in British Sign Language (BSL) and (b) correspondence in BSL to people whose principal language is BSL.

Photo of Victoria Atkins Victoria Atkins The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department, Minister for Women

The Department publishes information on its services on GOV.UK. Documents we publish can be requested in an alternative format, in line with the Equalities Act 2010, and this includes British Sign Language.

When hosting staff events we provide a British Sign Language signer where one has been requested in advance.

We have existing frameworks in place to provide communication support services which includes BSL Interpreters. In circumstances where this service is not suitable for the individuals requirements we have arrangements in place to provide alternative support though the Crown Commercial Service framework agreements.

We ask our customers if they require any reasonable adjustments and aim to meet their bespoke needs.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.