Travellers: Caravan Sites

Home Office written question – answered on 14th September 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jack Lopresti Jack Lopresti Conservative, Filton and Bradley Stoke

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps she is taking to ensure that police forces and chief constables enforce Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 in relation to the combatting of illegal Travellers' sites.

Photo of Nick Hurd Nick Hurd The Minister of State, Home Department

There are a range of existing powers available for both the police and local authorities to tackle unauthorised encampments. The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 provides specific powers to the police to move travellers from unauthorised encampments if certain criteria are met.

The Home Office works closely with the police to ensure the powers they have are fit for purpose. However, the decision on when and whether to use police powers is an independent operational decision for the police.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.