We’re celebrating National Democracy Week! Find out more

Food Poverty

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 3rd August 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Kennedy of Southwark Lord Kennedy of Southwark Shadow Spokesperson (Housing), Opposition Whip (Lords), Shadow Spokesperson (Communities and Local Government), Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs)

Her Majesty's Government whether they are planning to hold discussions with the governments of (1) the Republic of Ireland, (2) Canada, and (3) the United States, with a view to (a) learning lessons for, and (b) seeking improvements in, the UK's processes for monitoring levels of food insecurity.

Photo of Lord Gardiner of Kimble Lord Gardiner of Kimble The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

We have no immediate plans to discuss processes for monitoring levels of food insecurity with Republic of Ireland, Canada and the United States. However, the UK Government through the Department for International Development contributes to and supports financially the work of The Food Insecurity Experience Scale (FIES). FIES was developed by the ‘Voices of the Hungry’ project of the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and is used to collect data on household food security in up to 150 countries, including the UK, Republic of Ireland, Canada and the United States.

The UK is also an active participant in the Agricultural Market Information System (AMIS) platform established by the G20. AMIS focuses on enhancing global market transparency and improving policy coordination to help prevent unexpected price spikes and thereby strengthen global food security.

The Living Costs and Food Survey, which informs the UK Family Food publication, includes questions on household spend on food, including that of the lowest 20 per cent income households.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes25 people think so

No24 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.