Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


Department for Education written question – answered on 31st July 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Black of Brentwood Lord Black of Brentwood Conservative

Her Majesty's Government whether they will publish the methodology by which the performance of the Chair of Ofsted is monitored.

Photo of Lord Nash Lord Nash The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

The expectations around performance monitoring of public appointment holders are set out in the Governance Code on Public Appointments published by the Cabinet Office. This is found in paragraph 3.5 of the current code.

These expectations are reflected in the terms on which the Chair is appointed by the Secretary of State. As part of this process, the Chair is required to participate in a performance appraisal with the Permanent Secretary.

Also under these terms, the Chair will share a copy of his own objectives, and have a discussion to review progress at least annually with the Permanent Secretary. This arrangement reflects Ofsted’s independence from the Department of Education. The current Chair has shared his objectives with the Board, and Board members have agreed to establish a framework for reviewing his effectiveness.

Additionally, the Chair is also expected to adhere to the highest personal and professional standards, in accordance with the Nolan principles published by the Committee on Standards in Public Life, and to comply with the Board Code of Conduct as set out in the Ofsted corporate governance framework. Ofsted is currently reviewing its corporate governance arrangements.

The Cabinet Office Governance Code can be found here:

The Ofsted corporate governance framework can be found here:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.