Parking: Private Sector

Department for Transport written question – answered on 21st July 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Derek Twigg Derek Twigg Labour, Halton

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what procedures the DVLA has put in place for the assessment of applications by private parking companies for access to the personal details of vehicle owners.

Photo of Jesse Norman Jesse Norman Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport)

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) provides information manually and via an electronic process. Before releasing vehicle keeper data through the manual process, the DVLA requires private parking companies to provide their full company registration details. These include the company’s registered address, Companies House registration number, Data Protection registration and Accredited Trade Association membership details. Companies must declare why they need the data and how it will be used. Documentation must also be supplied for each request demonstrating reasonable cause for needing the information. This can include landowner authorisation and evidence of the contravention of car parking terms and conditions. The information provided by the private parking company is thoroughly checked. Any request that fails to include sufficient information is rejected.

Private parking companies who wish to request information through electronic links must complete a six month probationary period. As well as supplying the details for the process outlined above, companies are required to make a minimum of 300 manual applications over the period. The DVLA will also liaise with the relevant Accredited Trade Association throughout the process to ensure that the company continues to adhere to the code of practice.

Private parking companies who successfully complete the probation period must enter into a contract before being able to request vehicle keeper data electronically.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.