Department for Exiting the European Union written question – answered on 14th July 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Paul Blomfield Paul Blomfield Shadow Minister (Exiting the European Union)

To ask the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, with reference to his Department's policy paper entitled, Safeguarding the position of EU citizens in the UK and UK nationals in the EU, published on 26 June 2017, what his proposals mean for the (a) residence and (b) acquired EU rights of UK nationals who have previously lived in another EU Member State but are no longer resident in that country.

Photo of Robin Walker Robin Walker The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union

For those who have been living in the UK for five years and want to continue to make the UK their home, they will be able to apply for settled status to stay indefinitely after we exit.

As is the case for those holding permanent residence status under EU law, for those who have already lived in the UK for over five years but were not present at the time of the specified date, they will still be eligible for settled status if that absence was for less than two consecutive years.

We have also been clear that we want to secure a reciprocal agreement for UK nationals in the EU which could apply in the same way.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.