Fire Prevention: Finance

Department for Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 14th July 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lucy Powell Lucy Powell Labour/Co-operative, Manchester Central

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, what funding is available to (a) local authorities, (b) arms-length management organisations, (c) social landlords whose properties have been acquired through stock transfer and (d) private landlords for the (i) removal of cladding that has failed safety tests and (ii) reapplication of new cladding.

Photo of Alok Sharma Alok Sharma Minister of State (Communities and Local Government)

Holding answer received on 10 July 2017

Where Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) cladding is present on residential buildings over 18 metres in height, the Government is providing testing for local authorities, housing associations and private sector landlords, free of charge. If the screening tests indicate that such cladding would not meet the limited combustibility requirements of the current Building Regulations guidance, it is for landlords in consultation with the fire and rescue service and other experts to determine, and take, the best course of action, communicating closely with residents. My Department has issued advice on the interim mitigating measures landlords should implement. Where work is necessary to ensure the fire safety of social housing, we will ensure that lack of financial resources will not prevent them going ahead.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.