Floods: Insurance

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 28 June 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rachel Reeves Rachel Reeves Labour, Leeds West

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what progress has been made on supporting businesses who are unable to get flood insurance as part of their commercial insurance.

Photo of Therese Coffey Therese Coffey The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

The British Insurance Broker Association (BIBA) insurance product, launched in December 2016, provides flood insurance for many small businesses that have struggled to access it to-date. We understand that this new product is already providing insurance and has strong support from brokers. BIBAs ‘Find a Broker Service’ can help business identify local brokers participating in the BIBA scheme and is accessible through BIBAs website.


The Government continues to work with commercial interests under the Property Level Resilience Roundtable to promote the uptake of measures that make properties resilient to flooding. These are measures that prevent water entering a property and speeding recovery when it does. One objective is to develop better standards and certification, enabling insurers to take greater account of resilience measures in the future.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.