Nature Conservation

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 28 June 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Shannon Jim Shannon Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Health)

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what support his Department gives to wildlife and conservation bodies to help purchase land for conservation and shooting purposes.

Photo of Therese Coffey Therese Coffey The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

In England, we provide a range of payments to landowners, farmers and rural businesses through our Countryside Stewardship scheme and other rural grants and payments. Some of these are used to support land management for wildlife and other environment benefits and are open to a wide range of landowners or managers, including wildlife and conservation bodies. These payments cannot be used for land purchase.

Defra and its non-departmental bodies have purchased land to provide compensation for habitat loss, working with wildlife and conservation bodies to ensure appropriate management: this does not involve provide funding for those bodies to acquire the land.

We do provide grant-in-aid to the National Forest Company which is the charitable body established to lead on the development of the National Forest. Some of this funding can be used to acquire land for woodland planting and for promoting public enjoyment of woodland.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.