Prison Officers: Retirement

Ministry of Justice written question – answered on 28th March 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Grahame Morris Grahame Morris Labour, Easington

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, if she will bring forward proposals to reduce the retirement age of prison officers to bring it in line with the retirement age for police officers.

Photo of Sam Gyimah Sam Gyimah The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice

Under the recommendations made in the 2011 Lord Hutton Report on public sector pensions, the normal pension age (retirement age) for Police Officers increased from 55 to 60, with the expectation of further reviews which may increase the age towards (or up to) the state pension age, which is currently set at between 66 and 68 depending on the individual’s date of birth.

Those employed as police officers and members of the Police Pension Scheme fund a normal pension age of 60 through higher employee contributions than those employed as prison officers and members of the Civil Service Pension Scheme. Police officers contribute 12.44% of their pensionable pay, whereas prison officers contribute 5.45% of their pensionable pay.

To reduce the normal pension age under the Civil Service Pension would require a change under legislation and a significant increase to contributions made by the employee into the scheme. In December 2016 however the Government made a pay and pensions offer to the Prison Officers Association (POA) which included a proposed reduction in the effective pension age, which would allow officers to retire at 65. Unfortunately POA members voted to reject this deal and therefore the pension age has remain unchanged. The Prison Service regularly meet with all of the Unions representing staff in the prisons and probation services and is committed to continued constructive dialogue on all matters, including pensions and remuneration.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes3 people think so

No16 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.