Housing: Corrosion

Department for Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 15th March 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Craig Williams Craig Williams Conservative, Cardiff North

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, what guidance his Department has issued for home owners on the risk of wall tie corrosion.

Photo of Gavin Barwell Gavin Barwell Minister of State (Department for Communities and Local Government) (Housing, Planning and London)

Statutory guidance to the Building Regulations in Approved Document A Structure states that wall ties should be made of stainless steel (which is considered to be corrosion resistant) and have a minimum embedment length in each wall leaf of 50mm.

The Department has not issued any guidance to home owners, as identification, investigation and specifying repairs of corroded wall ties are specialist technical matters that are best left to a structural engineer or building surveyor. It is also likely that the building insurer will be involved.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.