Gambling: Children

Department for Culture, Media and Sport written question – answered on 2nd March 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Baroness Smith of Basildon Baroness Smith of Basildon Shadow Leader of the House of Lords

To ask Her Majesty’s Government, further to the answer by Lord Ashton of Hyde on 12 January (HL Deb, col 2064), what measures are available to the Gambling Commission to take action against overseas providers which fail to prevent underage gambling.

Photo of Lord Ashton of Hyde Lord Ashton of Hyde Lord in Waiting (HM Household) (Whip), The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport

All operators that offer bets to people in Great Britain must obtain a licence from the Gambling Commission. Where an operator breaches the conditions of its licence the Gambling Commission has a range of powers at its disposal, including financial penalties, imposition of licence conditions or revoking the licence.

Where websites are identified that are offering facilities for gambling to customers in Britain without the appropriate licence the Commission will take action to ensure compliance with the licensing regime.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.