We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Health Services: Local Government

Department of Health written question – answered on 27th February 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mary Glindon Mary Glindon Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (Farming and Rural Communities)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, whether local authorities are required to provide non-mandated public health services such as drug and alcohol services.

Photo of Nicola Blackwood Nicola Blackwood The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

Under section 2B of the NHS Act 2006 local authorities (LAs) must take such steps as they consider appropriate for improving the health of the people in their areas. Section 6C of the 2006 Act allows the Secretary of State to make regulations requiring LAs to exercise their public health functions by taking particular steps.

No regulations have been made in respect of drug or alcohol misuse services. However, a condition attached to the public health grant that is paid to LAs under section 31 of the Local Government Act 2003 requires them to use the grant with regard to the need to improve the take up of, and outcomes from, their drug and alcohol misuse treatment services. Where steps are not mandated in regulations or grant conditions LAs must make decisions based on their own priorities and assessments of local need, and account for those decisions to their electorates.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes4 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.