We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Department for International Trade: Security

Department for International Trade written question – answered on 27th February 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jon Trickett Jon Trickett Shadow Minister (Cabinet Office), Shadow Lord President of the Council

To ask the Secretary of State for International Trade, pursuant to the Answer of 8 February 2017 to Question 62539, how many security passes are issued on behalf of his Department by the Departmental Security teams in the buildings in which they are based to people who are not employees of his Department.

Photo of Greg Hands Greg Hands The Minister of State, Department for International Trade

At present, the Department for International Trade (DIT) operates within shared buildings, in which it does not represent the majority tenant. Therefore, the responsibility for issuing passes does not fall directly to DIT but to the local Departmental Security teams who are responsible for the building.

Passes are issued to contractors, secondees, public sector workers (e.g. from Non-Departmental Public Bodies) or Crown Servants, such as Police or Military forces, as well as to Civil Servants where it is necessary and appropriate to do so. This enables teams to work flexibly and effectively to best support business needs. Use of all security passes is underpinned by a strong physical security focus, access control procedures and technologies, clear processes and assurance mechanisms that enable an integrated workforce to operate in a secure manner.

DIT does not separate the information between these defined categories. Therefore, we do not record them in this way. Strict processes are followed before a pass is authorised and ultimately revoked.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.