We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Social Services: Pay

Department for Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 27th February 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Beecham Lord Beecham Shadow Spokesperson (Housing), Shadow Spokesperson (Communities and Local Government), Shadow Spokesperson (Justice)

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what estimate they have made of the impact of the requirement for the employers of careworkers to pay for sleep-in time and what steps they will take to ensure that local authorities are able to fund the additional costs.

Photo of Lord Bourne of Aberystwyth Lord Bourne of Aberystwyth The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Wales

Local authorities are responsible for commissioning suitable care for anyone assessed as having eligible care needs. It has always been the responsibility of social care providers to pay care workers the National Minimum Wage /National Living Wage for sleeping time, if what they are doing amounts to work under their Contract.

Following measures announced in the Local Government Finance Settlement local authorities will have access to £7.6 billion of new money for adult social care by 2019/20. These changes mean that local government will have access to the funding it needs to increase spending on adult social care every year in this Parliament. The key Government departments with an interest in adult social care work together regularly to review the effectiveness of the system to support future decisions.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.