Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Overseas Students: EU Nationals

Home Office written question – answered on 16th February 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Beith Lord Beith Liberal Democrat

To ask Her Majesty’s Government whether former higher education students who are EU nationals who apply for permanent residence in the UK are required to have held comprehensive private health insurance during the time during which they were in higher education; and if so, whether students from EU countries are notified of the existence of such a requirement when, or before, they begin their courses of study.

Photo of Baroness Williams of Trafford Baroness Williams of Trafford The Minister of State, Home Department

EU citizens and their family members have the right to enter, live and acquire permanent residence in other Member States when certain conditions are met, as set out in EU law. This includes a requirement to hold comprehensive sickness insurance where they have been exercising their Treaty rights as students and later rely on such periods to qualify for permanent residence.

Guidance on the conditions for exercising Treaty rights as a student has always been publicly available to EU nationals. This can currently be found from page 21 onwards of the guidance on ‘qualified persons’ available on the UKGOV website via the link below:

The guidance is also attached to this answer.

EEA Qualified Persons (PDF Document, 239.32 KB)

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.