Immigration: EU Nationals

Home Office written question – answered on 12th January 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Paul Blomfield Paul Blomfield Shadow Minister (Exiting the European Union)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assessment she has made of the level of awareness of the requirement for EU students to have comprehensive sickness insurance during their five years' lawful continuous residence in the UK in order to qualify for permanent residence.

Photo of Robert Goodwill Robert Goodwill The Minister for Immigration

The EU Free Movement Directive (2004/38/EC) requires that EU nationals hold comprehensive sickness insurance if they wish to study in another EU Member State. This applies across all EU Member States and is reflected in the UK’s Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 (as amended) and the Home Office’s published guidance.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.