Overseas Students: Visas

Department for Education written question – answered on 27th April 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Eilidh Whiteford Eilidh Whiteford Shadow SNP Westminster Group Leader (Social Justice and Welfare)

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what discussions she has had with the Home Secretary on reintroduction of the post-study work visa.

Photo of Jo Johnson Jo Johnson Minister of State (Department for Education) (Universities and Science) (Joint with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy), Minister of State (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Universities and Science) (Joint with the Department for Education)

The Department engages regularly with the Home Office on matters of student migration.

Overseas students can remain in the UK to work following their studies by switching to several existing visa routes, including Tier 2 (skilled worker) visas.

The Government closed the dedicated Post Study Work visa route in 2012 on the grounds that it was open to immigration abuse (including low-skilled work and fraudulent applications).

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.