Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Aviation: Alcoholic Drinks

Department for Transport written question – answered on 14th October 2016.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Baroness Hayter of Kentish Town Baroness Hayter of Kentish Town Shadow Spokesperson (Equalities and Women's Issues), Shadow Spokesperson (Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy), Shadow Spokesperson (Exiting the European Union), Shadow Spokesperson (Cabinet Office)

To ask Her Majesty’s Government, further to the reported comments by Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon on 28 July that he would review the sale of alcohol in airports, (1) when that review will take place; (2) what its terms of reference will be; and (3) whether he plans to meet airlines to discuss the effect on the safety and comfort of passengers and cabin crew of excessive alcohol consumption on flights.

Photo of Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport)

The Government strongly supports the industry and its efforts to find deliverable solutions to this issue. It is important to ensure that all air passengers have a safe and pleasant experience when flying.

The industry bodies have joined together to create the UK Aviation Industry Code of Practice on Disruptive Passengers, with the purpose of creating a common, consistent approach that co-ordinates and enhances existing efforts to prevent and minimise disruptive passenger behaviour.

At present there are no plans for the Government to review legislation in this area as I believe it is essential that the Code of Practice is given time to bed in and mature. We will continue to engage and meet with a broad range of operators in the aviation sector and managing disruptive behaviour is one of the issues we wish to discuss.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.