Home Education

Department of Health written question – answered on 12th July 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Black of Brentwood Lord Black of Brentwood Conservative

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what is their estimate of the life-time cost of providing medication and care for an individual diagnosed with HIV at the age of 35.

Photo of Lord Storey Lord Storey Liberal Democrat Lords Spokesperson (Education)

Her Majesty's Government what are the legal requirements relating to home tuition; and what measures are in place to support parents who choose to have their children taught at home.

Photo of Lord Storey Lord Storey Liberal Democrat Lords Spokesperson (Education)

Her Majesty's Government how many children and young people have undertaken home tuition in each of the last three years.

Photo of Lord Nash Lord Nash The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

Data on the number of children being educated at home are not collected centrally.

Parents have a legal duty under Section 7 of the Education Act 1996 to ensure that a child of compulsory school age receives an efficient and full-time education suitable to its age, ability and aptitude, and any special education needs - either by regular attendance at school or otherwise. ‘Otherwise’ includes education at home. There are no other specific requirements relating to the content of such education, unless a child has a statement of special educational needs or an Education and Health Care Plan, which can specify that the child is being educated at home. If it does, the local authority is under a duty to ensure the provision specified is made.

Parents choosing to educate at home take on the responsibilities involved, including financial responsibility. There is no entitlement to support. Some local authorities offer guidance, and there are other organisations which offer guidance or provide part-time education in specific subjects to supplement home education.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.