Kidneys: Research

Department of Health written question – answered on 26th May 2016.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Derek Thomas Derek Thomas Conservative, St Ives

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what proportion of overall health research funding was invested in renal research in each year since 2010; and what plans he has to increase funding for such research in the next five years.

Photo of George Freeman George Freeman The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

Spend on research funded directly by the Department’s National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) is categorised by Health Research Classification System (HRCS) health categories. NIHR expenditure on research infrastructure and systems where spend cannot be attributed to health categories is excluded. The following table shows NIHR spend in the ‘Renal and Urogenital’ category as a proportion of total categorised spend and as a proportion of total revenue expenditure.

NIHR spend in ‘Renal and Urogenital’ HRCS health category

Proportion of total categorised NIHR spend %

Proportion of total NIHR revenue spend %
















NIHR data for total 2015/16 spend on renal and urogenital research is not yet available.

Total NIHR spend in future years on renal research depends on the volume and quality of scientific activity. The usual practice of the NIHR is not to ring-fence funds for expenditure on particular topics: research proposals in all areas compete for the funding available. The NIHR welcomes funding applications for research into any aspect of human health, including renal research. These applications are subject to peer review and judged in open competition, with awards being made on the basis of the importance of the topic to patients and the National Health Service, value for money and scientific quality.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.