In Vitro Fertilisation

Department of Health written question – answered on 23rd May 2016.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Steve McCabe Steve McCabe Labour, Birmingham, Selly Oak

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what guidance his Department provides to clinical commissioning groups on the storage and disposal of embryonic waste following IVF treatment.

Photo of Jane Ellison Jane Ellison The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) is the United Kingdom national regulator for the provision of in vitro fertilisation (IVF). Clinics cannot provide IVF or store gametes and embryos unless they have a licence to do so from the HFEA.

The HFEA’s code of practice (a copy is attached) gives guidance to clinics on the sensitive handling of embryonic material following IVF. It advises that this should be done in a manner that takes account of the special status of the human embryo.

HFEA Code of Practice (PDF Document, 215.82 KB)

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.