Children: Care Homes

Department for Education written question – answered on 26th May 2016.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Ann Coffey Ann Coffey Labour, Stockport

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, how much was spent on (a) local authority and (b) non-local authority residential care provision per week and per child in each local authority in the latest year for which figures are available.

Photo of Edward Timpson Edward Timpson Minister of State (Education)

Local authorities submit annual outturn statements to the Secretary of State for Education on actual expenditure for their education and children’s social care functions.

The most recent outturn figures can be found on GOV.UK[1]. The file named “S251 outturn 2014 to 2015: individual LA expenditure data” enables reported annual expenditure by each local authority to be viewed at an individual local authority level. There is a distinct line for residential care.

The information on residential care spend is attached.

Total annual spend by each local authority is broken down to show spend on:

  • Own provision
  • Private provision
  • Other public provision (this includes other local authorities); and
  • And voluntary sector provision.

It is not possible to measure spend on provision within each local authority. This is because the location of the provision provided is not captured in the section 251 financial return.


Residential_care_spend (Excel SpreadSheet, 20.8 KB)

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.