Private Rented Housing: Disability

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 18th March 2016.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mary Robinson Mary Robinson Conservative, Cheadle

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what steps his Department is taking to help people with disabilities with the cost of housing in the private rented sector.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State (Department for Work and Pensions) (Disabled People)

There are a number of ways the Department helps people with disabilities who are entitled to Housing Benefit and are renting in the private sector.

The enhanced package of Discretionary Housing Payments funding (£870 million over 5 years) will enable LAs to protect vulnerable claimants and support households affected by the Housing Benefit reforms.

In addition to this, single disabled people under 35 years of age who are in receipt of the severe disability premium are exempt from the shared accommodation rate under the Local Housing Allowance scheme.

Disabled people with overnight care needs may be eligible for an additional bedroom for a non-resident carer under the size criteria rules.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.