Housing Associations: Repairs and Maintenance

Department for Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 1st February 2016.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Rosindell Andrew Rosindell Conservative, Romford

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, if he will take further steps to hold to account housing associations which do not provide adequate maintenance and repair services to their tenants.

Photo of Brandon Lewis Brandon Lewis Minister of State (Communities and Local Government)

Registered providers are required to comply with the Home standard. This requires them to provide a cost-effective repairs and maintenance service which has the objective of completing repairs right first time. If the Social Housing Regulator finds that a registered provider has failed to comply with the standard and that there has been, or is a risk of, serious harm to tenants, it can issue a Regulatory Notice and could if appropriate take enforcement action against those providers.

A tenant with a complaint against their landlord should raise it with their landlord in the first instance. Should the complaint remain unresolved tenants can contact a Designated Person (a local housing authority councillor, MP or recognised tenant panel) who has a role in seeking to resolve disputes and complaints. They can also take the matter to the Housing Ombudsman.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.