Entertainments: Insurance

Department for Culture, Media and Sport written question – answered on 28th October 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Louise Ellman Louise Ellman Chair, Transport Committee, Chair, Transport Committee

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what the requirements are on places of public entertainment to have public liability insurance in place; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Tracey Crouch Tracey Crouch The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport

The Licensing Act 2003 (which is the responsibility of my Rt hon Friend the Secretary of State for the Home Department) sets out the types of regulated entertainment that require a licence, primarily live music and indoor sporting events. Any requirements in the 2003 Act are separate to any requirement around public liability insurance to be in place. Any requirements on public liability insurance is a contractual matter and is not required by law.

Guidance for organisers of events has been produced by the Cabinet Office and can be seen ongov.uk. This includes the following relating to insurance:

There is no law that says you must buy insurance for a voluntary or community event – but you might want to make sure you are covered in case something goes wrong and someone makes a claim against you. Havingpublic liability insurancemay give you peace of mind, but it’s good planning, not insurance that stops things going wrong.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.