Gynaecology: Medical Treatments

Department of Health written question – answered on 18th September 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Virendra Sharma Virendra Sharma Labour, Ealing, Southall

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what steps his Department is taking to improve patient access to uterine fibroid embolisation.

Photo of Jane Ellison Jane Ellison The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

Uterine fibroid embolisation is a treatment that is approved and recommended by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.

A patient diagnosed with uterine fibroids requiring treatment will receive care and advice from their general practitioner (GP) in the first instance. If further treatment is required, the GP will refer the patient to a gynaecologist. It is the responsibility of specialist clinicians within clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) to recommend appropriate treatment to treat this condition, and for the CCGs to ensure they commission appropriate services to meet local demand.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.