Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Travellers: Caravan Sites

Home Office written question – answered on 7th July 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Julian Knight Julian Knight Conservative, Solihull

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if she will take steps to (a) increase the awareness of and (b) use notices under section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 for the police to remove Travellers from public land.

Photo of Mike Penning Mike Penning The Minister of State, Home Department, The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice

New Government guidance was issued jointly by the Department of Communities and Local Government, Home Office and the Ministry of Justice in March 2015. This was sent under cover of a joint ministerial letter to council leaders, chief constables and police and crime commissioners highlighting the range of powers available when dealing with illegal and unauthorised encampments.

Both documents can be found in the Library of the House and online at:

Cover letter:

Dealing with illegal and unauthorised encampments - A summary of available powers:

The police have clear duties under the Equalities Act and Human Rights Act to consider before using powers to move unauthorised travellers, which are reflected in operational guidance. The use of Section 61 notices of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 is an operational matter for the police.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.