Travellers: Caravan Sites

Home Office written question – answered on 25th June 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Stewart Jackson Stewart Jackson Conservative, Peterborough

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what guidance her Department gives to chief police officers on dealing with illegal Traveller encampments; and if she will make a statement.

Photo of Mike Penning Mike Penning The Minister of State, Home Department, The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice

New Government guidance was issued jointly by the Department of Communities and Local Government, Home Office and the Ministry of Justice in March 2015. This was sent under cover of a joint ministerial letter to council leaders, chief constables and police and crime commissioners highlighting the range of powers available when dealing with illegal and unauthorised encampments.

Both documents can be found online at:

Cover letter:

Dealing with illegal and unauthorised encampments - A summary of available powers:

I will place a copy of these documents in the library of the House.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.