Driving: Licensing

Department for Transport written question – answered on 16th June 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Greg Knight Greg Knight Conservative, East Yorkshire

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what measures he has put in place to ensure that people with a UK driving licence who follow Government advice to destroy their paper counterparts will not be denied car rental abroad.

Photo of Andrew Jones Andrew Jones Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport)

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) has engaged with the vehicle rental industry about the abolition of the driving licence counterpart for some time. A comprehensive range of publicity materials was developed to help companies and customers to prepare for the change. This material was also provided to Lease Europe, the European equivalent of the British Vehicle and Rental Leasing Association. The publicity material can be seen at www.dvla.dft.gov.uk/dvla-aoc-toolkit.html

Drivers should check with the car hire company they have booked with before they travel about any specific requirements, as the car hire companies themselves have a wide variety of terms and conditions about what information they require. If it is required, drivers can obtain a code which will allow them to share their driving licence details with the car hire company if they wish to do so. The code can be generated online or by telephoning the DVLA. The online service is free and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Drivers can also print off a copy of their driving licence record.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.