Department for Energy and Climate Change written question – answered on 16th June 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Greaves Lord Greaves Liberal Democrat

To ask Her Majesty’s Government in respect of which areas (1) they have granted licences for exploratory drilling in relation to fracking, (2) applications have been made for such licences but have not yet been determined, and (3) applications have been made for planning permission relating to exploratory drilling for fracking.

Photo of Lord Bourne of Aberystwyth Lord Bourne of Aberystwyth The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, Lord in Waiting (HM Household) (Whip), The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Wales

Petroleum Exploration and Development Licences (PEDLs) are not specific to shale gas. They grant exclusive rights to extract hydrocarbons, including shale gas but also other forms, within a particular onshore area. A separate consent is required before any drilling or hydraulic fracturing (fracking) can take place. So far the Government has granted hydraulic fracking consent for shale to Cuadrilla’s Lancashire operations.

The Oil & Gas Authority does not have any undetermined consent applications. Applications for new PEDLs under the 14th Onshore Licensing Round are being considered – 95 applications for 295 licence blocks have been made.

Planning permission is a matter for the local Mineral Planning Authority. However, the applications submitted by Cuadrilla in Lancashire and by Third Energy in North Yorkshire are in the public domain.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.