Department of Health written question – answered on 11th June 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Ouseley Lord Ouseley Crossbench

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what support they provide to individuals who stop working to care for elderly and infirm family members.

Photo of Lord Prior of Brampton Lord Prior of Brampton The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of Health

Under the Care Act 2014, local authorities have legal duties to support carers and this will include many carers who stop working to care for family members. This includes a duty on local authorities to provide information and advice and universal preventative services for carers, as well as individual rights to carers to get an assessment on the appearance of needs for support, plus a right to support to meet any needs assessed as eligible against the national minimum eligibility threshold. The Department has provided £104 million of funding to local authorities for these rights in 2015-16.

Also, the Department has provided funding of £400 million to the National Health Service between 2011 and 2015 to enable carers to take breaks from their caring responsibilities, including £130 million in 2015-16 that is included in the Better Care Fund.

People who care for a disabled person over 35 hours a week who are not in full-time employment or education can be entitled to Carer’s Allowance, as well as income support benefits.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.