Universal Credit

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 26th March 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Liz McInnes Liz McInnes Labour, Heywood and Middleton

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, under what conditions married women can claim universal credit in their own right.

Photo of Mark Harper Mark Harper Minister of State (Department for Work and Pensions) (Disabled People)

Under Universal Credit couples in the same household must make a joint claim. Payment is normally once a month into a bank account nominated by the couple, which could be a joint or an individual account. Where there is financial abuse that is affecting the rest of the family, or other more fundamental problems such as domestic violence, we have the ability to split the payment between partners, allowing each claimant to receive a separate payment.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.