Veterans: Training

Ministry of Defence written question – answered on 18th March 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jonathan Lord Jonathan Lord Conservative, Woking

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what steps his Department has taken to help military personnel whose employment ceased as a result of the reduction in regular troop numbers to find alternative work.

Photo of Anna Soubry Anna Soubry The Minister of State, Ministry of Defence

Assisting our former Service personnel to make the transition to civilian employment is of major importance to the Department. All personnel leaving the Armed Forces are entitled to resettlement provision, consisting of time, funding and training, depending on length of service.

The single Services offer advice, information and guidance to Service leavers on the exact nature of their entitlement. The Career Transition Partnership (CTP), a partnering arrangement between the Department and Right Management Ltd, delivers a suite of transition services - training, job-finding and career transition workshops through regional resettlement centres - to those who are eligible. Of those who use the CTP services, 83% gain employment within six months of leaving the Services.

Advice given to Service leavers also includes "financial aspects of resettlement" briefings, to which spouses/partners are also invited, covering budget and debt management, managing pension schemes and guidance on the charity-led 'Benefits and Money Advice' service.

Service leavers also have access to life-long employment support through the Regular Forces Employment Association and Officers Association.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.