Educational Institutions: Asbestos

Department for Education written question – answered on 6th March 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Dan Jarvis Dan Jarvis Shadow Minister (Justice)

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what steps she is taking to compensate teaching professionals who have been exposed to asbestos while working in educational establishments.

Photo of David Laws David Laws The Minister of State, Cabinet Office, The Minister for Schools

It is the responsibility of employers to compensate their employees or former employees where harm is shown to have resulted from exposure to asbestos. Employers may have to provide compensation in cases where it is shown that they have not taken measures to protect their employees from the risk of exposure to asbestos. As the employers of teaching professionals in educational establishments, it is for schools, academy trusts or governing bodies (depending on the type of school) to provide compensation to employees harmed by asbestos exposure.

There are a number of schemes available to those who are unable to bring a claim for compensation against their employer or trace the relevant employers' liability insurer, which can support those who may have experienced this. These benefits and lump sum payments are administered by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.