Higher Education: Carers

Department for Business, Innovation and Skills written question – answered on 6th March 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Greg Mulholland Greg Mulholland Liberal Democrat, Leeds North West

To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, what steps his Department is taking to ensure universities better support students who are also carers.

Photo of Greg Clark Greg Clark Minister of State (Universities and Science), Minister of State (Cabinet Office)

Holding answer received on 03 March 2015

As autonomous bodies, universities are responsible for providing support to help their students succeed in their studies.

Universities charging above the basic fee level (£6,000 for full time students) must also agree an access agreement with the Office for Fair Access (OFFA) setting out what more they will do to widen participation and help students to succeed with their studies. In its latest guidance, OFFA specifies young carers as a group whose needs universities should consider.

Carers Trust and the National Network of Universities Supporting Young Adult Carers have produced a resource “Supporting Students with caring responsibilities: ideas and practice for universities to help student carers access and succeed in Higher Education.” The Trust and the Network are holding an event on 24th April to help universities to support students with caring responsibilities through the student lifecycle.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.