Agriculture: Subsidies

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 16th February 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Baroness Byford Baroness Byford Conservative

To ask Her Majesty’s Government whether farmers require a credit reference to apply for Common Agricultural Policy grants; and if so, what legislation applies and which organisation or body produces the reference.

Photo of Lord de Mauley Lord de Mauley The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Farmers do not need to have a credit reference to apply for Common Agricultural Policy grants.

As part of the registration process on the new Rural Payment Service customers will need to complete a verification process to confirm their identity. This is to prevent any fraudulent activity. Although personal verification is a mandatory requirement for registration on the Rural Payment Service, a customer can choose whether they do this via the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) helpline or through GOV.UK VERIFY depending on their circumstances.

Customers can choose either to call the RPA helpline (on 0300 0200 301) and answer a series of security questions relating to previous claims, or use the new online GOV.UK VERIFY service, which will eventually replace Government Gateway. Customers can select a certified verification company from a list on GOV.UK VERIFY; there are currently two certified companies on the service, Experian and Digi-identity, and more companies will become available in the future. Both Experian and Digi-identity use an individual’s credit history to confirm their identity.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.