Health Services: Older People

Department of Health written question – answered on 5th February 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Frank Field Frank Field Labour, Birkenhead

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many (a) doctors, (b) nurses, (c) social workers and (d) psychiatrists (i) trained or (ii) graduated with specialist skills in elderly care since 2005.

Photo of Daniel Poulter Daniel Poulter The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

There are now 9,500 full-time equivalent (FTE) more doctors and over 6,300 FTE more nurses, midwives and health visitors working in the National Health Service than in May 2010.

The Government has mandated Health Education England (HEE) to provide national leadership on education, training and workforce development in the NHS. This mandate includes a commitment that, working with professional bodies, HEE will review the content of pre-registration nurse education and undergraduate medical education to seek to ensure all new nurses and doctors have the right skills to work with older people, with a focus on dementia.

The content and standard of medical training is the responsibility of the General Medical Council, which is an independent statutory body. It has the general function of promoting high standards of education and co-ordinating all stages of education to ensure that medical students and newly qualified doctors are equipped with the knowledge, skills and attitudes essential for professional practice.

Similarly, the Nursing and Midwifery Council sets standards for nursing and midwifery education and training.

The qualifying course for social workers is generic meaning that when students graduate they are able to work in any setting. Specialisation would take place post-qualification.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.