Minimum Wage

HM Treasury written question – answered on 5th February 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Pamela Nash Pamela Nash Labour, Airdrie and Shotts

To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how many breaches of the minimum wage were reported in each year since 2010 for which records are available in (a) the UK, (b) Scotland, (c) England, (d) Wales and (e) Northern Ireland in the latest period for which figures are available; and how many such cases were (i) taken to court and (ii) led to convictions or penalties.

Photo of David Gauke David Gauke The Financial Secretary to the Treasury

The Government takes the enforcement of National Minimum Wage very seriously. Any worker who believes that they are being paid below the minimum wage should make a complaint to the Pay & Work Rights Helpline (PWRH) on 0800 917 2368.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) review every complaint referred to them by the PWRH and, in addition, collate and analyse data from various sources to identify employers more likely not to be paying National Minimum Wage and undertake targeted enforcement against those employers.

HMRC does not capture complaints or the outcomes of its investigations by reference to Government regions, constituencies or county. Details of prosecutions can be found in the answer provided on 6 May 2014 at Hansard Column 110W. Details of penalties can be accessed in the response provided at UIN 205613.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.