Educational Psychology: Training

Department for Education written question – answered on 4th February 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Steve McCabe Steve McCabe Shadow Minister (Education)

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, how much funding her Department has allocated to the training of educational psychologists in each of the last five financial years.

Photo of Edward Timpson Edward Timpson The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

The table below outlines the amount the Department for Education has allocated to the training of educational psychologists in the last five financial years. This is 54% of the total cost of the three year doctorate. The remaining 46% is funded by employers of educational psychologists (96% are local authorities) who provide a bursary or a salary while trainees are on practice placement in years two and three.

The Department for Education contribution to the training of educational psychologists

Financial Year

2009/2010

2010/2011

2011/2012

2012/2013

2013/2014

2014/2015

TOTAL

2,318,566

4,254,959

5,256,780

5,421,427[1]

5,278,075[2]

5,346,831

[1] A new training provider contract was in place for the 2013, 2014 and 2015 intakes. Some of these universities have higher tuition fees in the first year and lower fees in subsequent years, while others have the same level of fees for all three years.

[2] The Minister increased the number of funded training places available from 120 to 132, for the 2014 and 2015 intakes.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.