Department for Energy and Climate Change written question – answered on 23rd February 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Barry Gardiner Barry Gardiner Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)

To ask the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, what notice and publicity requirements relate to the planning and environmental permitting process for hydraulic fracturing.

Photo of Matthew Hancock Matthew Hancock Minister of State (Department for Business, Innovation and Skills), Minister of State for Portsmouth, The Minister of State, Department of Energy and Climate Change

Companies seeking planning permission for the winning and working of oil or natural gas by underground operations (including exploratory drilling) are required to serve notice of an application on individual owners and tenants of land where surface works are required. They must also publish a notice in a local newspaper and put up site notices. Mineral Planning Authorities advertise and consult upon the planning applications they receive.

Once an application for an environmental permit is made, the environmental regulator will publish details and publicise them on their website for public consultation.

As part of the amendments we have made to the Infrastructure Bill, my rt. hon. Friend the Secretary of State will need to be satisfied before granting a hydraulic fracturing consent that the public was given notice of the application for the relevant planning permission.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.