Reserve Forces: Injuries

Ministry of Defence written question – answered on 29th January 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Kate Green Kate Green Shadow Minister (Work and Pensions)

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what retraining his Department provides to reservists who are discharged as a result of injury sustained during training or mobilisation and are unable to resume their civilian occupation as a result.

Photo of Julian Brazier Julian Brazier The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence

Reservists who are medically discharged as a result of injuries sustained during mobilisation, including pre-deployment training, are entitled to the same transition support as a Regular Service person. This includes the optimum range of resettlement provision, regardless of how long they served and their reasons for becoming medically discharged. The Recovery Careers Services (RCS) is a charity led organisation specifically designed to provide an assisted resettlement route into employment for those medically discharged. The RCS works within the Career Transition Partnership family, which is the Ministry Of Defence's portal for connecting industry with personnel who leave the Armed Forces. RCS deliver an individualised, needs-based service to those Service personnel who require extra assistance, and provides additional support to those with the greatest barriers to employment due to the nature of their medical condition. All Reservists can also make use of Standard Learning Credits to fund small scale training.

For those most seriously injured who may be unable to work again after service, there is provision within the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme for lifetime financial support and security. This applies to those injured whilst mobilised or on training.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.