Social Rented Housing

House of Lords written question – answered on 15th January 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Greaves Lord Greaves Liberal Democrat

To ask Her Majesty’s Government for each local housing authority in England, and for England as a whole, how many units of housing were sold under Right to Buy and Right to Acquire provisions in each year since 1980; and how many new units of (1) council housing, and (2) other social housing, were provided (by new build, conversion or purchase) in each of those years.

Photo of Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Communities and Local Government)

Statistics on total Right to Buy sales in England for each year since 1980/81 and Right to Acquire sales in England for each year since 1998/99 are published in the Department’s tables 671 and 677 respectively. Annual Right to Buy sales for each local authority district for each year since 1998/99 are published in table 685. These tables are available at the following link:

Right to Acquire sales are not available by local authority district.

Annual statistics on delivery since 1991/92 of housing for social rent (table 1006) and since 2011/12 of housing for affordable rent (table 1006a) for each local authority district are published at the following link:

These figures include newly built and acquired housing delivered by both local authorities and Private Registered Providers.

Statistics for Right to Buy starts on site by local authority district are only available from 2012-13 when one for one replacement on additional local authority sales - that is, sales above the level forecast before the changes were made - was introduced. They are published in the Department’s table 693 at the following link:

Councils have three years to start building the homes after the sale, which gives them time to ensure new builds maximise value for money.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.