Japanese Knotweed

House of Lords written question – answered on 15th January 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Greaves Lord Greaves Liberal Democrat

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what advice they are giving to each local authority in relation to (1) the desirability of carrying out a survey of the incidence of Japanese Knotweed (Fallopia japonica) in their area, (2) the desirability of establishing a programme for its suppression and removal, and (3) the best means of doing this both on land they own, and on other land in their area.

Photo of Lord de Mauley Lord de Mauley The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Advice relating to the identification and treatment of Japanese knotweed is openly available to local authorities through a variety of mechanisms. Defra and its delivery partners, including the Environment Agency and Natural England, provide guidance on their websites, as does the Non-Native Species Secretariat. The advice includes identification sheets and best practice guidance for management and removal. However, it is for the local authority itself to decide what priority and resource it places on tackling Japanese knotweed.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.