Prisons: Crimes of Violence

Ministry of Justice written question – answered on 16th January 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Cunningham Jim Cunningham Labour, Coventry South

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, how many prisoner claims for damage for possessions or injury sustained during acts of concerted indiscipline were settled in each year since 2010; what the total value of those claims was in each such year; what the largest single amount paid to a prisoner under such a claim was in each such year; and to what type of incident each of those payments related.

Photo of Mike Penning Mike Penning The Minister of State, Home Department, The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice

An answer to this question can only be provided at disproportionate cost.

We do not record concerted indiscipline as category when making payments through the civil litigation process. Moreover, compensation payments to prisoners for lost or damaged property can be made through civil litigation, internal complaints, or as a result of recommendations made by the Prison and Probation Ombudsman and by the Parliamentary Ombudsman.

To determine the total amount of compensation payments made would require a trawl through thousands of records held at every public sector prison and in NOMS headquarters.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.