Social Services: Older People

Department of Health written question – answered on 15th January 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Nigel Evans Nigel Evans Conservative, Ribble Valley

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many pensioners gave up their right to the state pension to enter social care in (a) Ribble Valley constituency, (b) Lancashire and (c) England in each of the last three years.

Photo of Norman Lamb Norman Lamb The Minister of State, Department of Health

People who receive local authority arranged care and support do not give up the right to receive the state pension. Local authority support for meeting the costs of care and support is means tested. Following a financial assessment, those who can afford to will contribute towards the cost of their care.

People receiving care and support in care homes will be required to contribute to the costs from their income, but local authorities are required to leave them with a minimum amount of income for personal expenses. This Personal Expenses Allowance (PEA) is currently set at £24.40 per week. It will rise to £24.90 per week in April. Local authorities have discretion to set a higher PEA in certain circumstances. People above state pension age who have income above the threshold for receiving the savings credit element of Pension Credit will retain a further £5.75 per week for a single person or £8.60 per week for a couple.

Where people received local authority support with care and support in their own home the local authority is required to ensure that their income is not reduced bellow basic levels of Income Support or the Guaranteed Credit of Pension Credit plus a buffer of 25%.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.