Carer's Allowance

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 14th January 2015.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Cathy Jamieson Cathy Jamieson Shadow Minister (Treasury)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will review the current regulations relating to carer's allowance as they apply to people who temporarily withdraw from full-time education as a result of caring responsibilities.

Photo of Mark Harper Mark Harper Minister of State (Department for Work and Pensions) (Disabled People)

Full-time students are not normally entitled to benefits as a means of supporting themselves whilst studying. This is because primary financial support for students comes from the educational maintenance system, which is designed for their needs, rather than through the social security system. Someone who has only temporarily withdrawn from a course, but has not abandoned it, is normally still treated as being in full-time education.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.