Change of Use

Department for Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 16th December 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Roberta Blackman-Woods Roberta Blackman-Woods Shadow Minister (Communities and Local Government)

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, whether homes converted from office space as a result of the B1(a) to C3 permitted development right conferred by section J.1 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order 2013 (S.I., 2013, No. 1101) are subject to building regulations.

Photo of Brandon Lewis Brandon Lewis Minister of State (Communities and Local Government)

The permitted development rights to allow the change of offices to residential use were introduced in May 2013. These rights are contributing to a more efficient use of our existing building stock, and are providing badly needed new homes such as studios and one-bedroom flats for young people. This is especially true in London where there is a particularly acute need for more housing. In turn, bringing new residents to the local area also brings business and helps generate growth.

Planning and building regulations are two separate processes. This policy does not affect the need for all the usual necessary building regulations approvals, including fire safety, sound insulation and energy efficiency. The new dwellings would also be subject to the Housing Health and Safety Rating System regulations on space and crowding.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.