Department of Health written question – answered on 9th December 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Sir David Amess Sir David Amess Conservative, Southend West

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will request a meeting with the German Federal Minister for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth to discuss possible compensation from the German government for British survivors of thalidomide; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Norman Lamb Norman Lamb The Minister of State, Department of Health

I am due to meet with the Minister for Europe on 17 December to discuss the issue of Thalidomide and will consider after that whether further representations need to be made to the German Government.

I met with the Thalidomide Trust on 23 June 2014 and agreed to write to my counterpart in Germany. I subsequently wrote to Manuela Schwesig, Federal Minister of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth, on behalf of all four UK Governments, asking if she would meet with the Trust.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.