Eating Disorders

Department of Health written question – answered on 8th December 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Luciana Berger Luciana Berger Shadow Minister (Public Health)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, whether NHS England offers specialist outpatient care and alternatives to inpatient treatment for people with eating disorders.

Photo of Norman Lamb Norman Lamb The Minister of State, Department of Health

Patients with eating disorders may be treated in a range of settings. Treatment for people with eating disorders in the community (such as specialist outpatient care) is commissioned by clinical commissioning groups, whilst inpatient services are the responsibility of NHS England.

The standard contract for Specialised (Tier 4) Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) eating disorder services includes Intensive Day Patient Services as an alternative to inpatient treatment. The level and type of provision will be based on population needs and clinical decisions made locally.

NHS England will be working over the next 18 months to support the development of more community-based specialist teams across the country with the aim of treating more children and young people in the community using best evidence-based models and will develop an access and waiting time standard. On 2 December, the Deputy Prime Minister announced recurrent funding for the next five years of £30 million per year to support this work.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.